Workplace relationships are unique interpersonal relationships with important implications for the individuals in those relationships, and the organisations in which the relationships exist and develop. Studies show that workplace relationships directly affect a worker’s ability to succeed.
According to Wikipedia Workplace romance exists when two members of the same organization develop a relationship with mutual attraction. Intermingling within the workplace may cause damages to morale and productivity in the workplace. Along with this, businesses and companies are still confused at whether or not they should interfere in the romantic relationship. If they do choose to interfere, what department should be in control of handling the situation and what policies should be set if workplace romances do happen. If there are not policies, should there be set guidelines? These are still questions that many companies are trying to answer.
1.The “whole world” knows your business- let’s face it, we aren’t likely to tell the whole office our partner’s name or our relationship status on a normal day but somehow they would all know if we hook up with that guy/girl at work.
No matter how discreet you both try to be, they would certainly know and since offices get pretty boring, the news would fly around soon enough and everyone would be all up in your business somehow.
It even gets funny when your boss teases you about your boo while at work, that can get pretty awkward don’t you think?
- Emotions get in the way-if you are a jealous partner or protective person, you are likely to find it annoying when someone else at work is all over your spouse. For them it might be harmless, but for you it might be crossing a particular boundary. If you both don’t work in the same office you aren’t likely to know who hugs your boo all day and you aren’t likely going to bother.
- Fights can ensue-you are an adult and you take issues like one but when a situation arises at work, you might have a hard time not acting out/up
- Distractions-no matter what, your boo being in the next room from you would sometimes distract you from work.
- Sometimes you just need a break-sometimes you just don’t want to run into your partner every time during the day. Especially since you would always see during the weekends or something. Sometimes all you just want to do is miss them!
- Its easier-nothing is easier than knowing your partner is just some seconds away from you and that he/she is doing just fine. It saves you the bbm chat which is distracting anyway or the lunch time phone calls. You don’t even have to hang out for lunch in some faraway place, I mean she’s in that building with you.
- Makes bonding stronger-you can bond easily in this situation. The kisses you sneak when nobody is looking or the hugs you give when you both meet just when nobody knows can be exciting and so much fun. You can even narrate each other’s problems at work without having to go out of your way to explain. I mean, he/she works there yeah?
- You don’t have to miss them-your man or woman is some seconds away, when you feel that very strong need to see them, you can just pop in and say hi during work. You don’t have to look forward to days after then.
- Got your back-whenever there’s a problem at work, there’s always someone who has your back. No need having to plead with a co-worker to help when your partner is there.
- It makes work more fun-if I had to meet my partner every day at work, who cares about how boring the office is? It makes everything a whole lot easier!